This recipe has been in my family for years, and I have never shared it until now.
I saw it on the Food Network, and decided to do it my own way... and thus... it was created...
- First, Cut up your squash into medium sized wedges. Spread them on a cookie sheet, and cover with about 1 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Put them in a preheated oven at 425F degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Then, prepare about 3 large or 4 medium size chicken thighs (skin on, bone in). Brown them in a pan on med-high heat with a little bit of olive oil. Don't cook them all the way through, just get them crispy on the outside.
- Next, throw in about 1 cup of white wine, 2-3 Tbsp of capers (more if you love them like I do), 1 can of quartered artichoke hearts (drained & take out a few to snake on), salt & pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat down to low-med, and simmer all of the ingredients, keeping a lid on the pan. This should take about 15 minutes. Don't forget to check on the squash, and move it around a bit!
- Next, throw in about 1 small-medium sized lemon, sliced thinly, on top of the chicken mixture. Put the lid back on for about 1 minute.
- Remove all the chicken, artichokes, and lemons from the pan and place on your serving platter. Leave the rest of the juices and most of the capers in the pan. Sprinkle in a little bit of flour to thicken up the sauce a tad, and whisk.
- Then, pour the sauce over the rest of your chicken, artichokes, lemons.... and there you have the lemonchocaper chicken!
- About this time, you should be able to take your roasted squash out of the oven.
- For the salad... Simply mix 3 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar, add salt & pepper to taste. Mix in any fresh greens, and you have a super simple, light salad to go on the side of your ridiculously amazing chicken.
- TA DAH!